Saturday, October 07, 2006

Trouble for IF


i was cracking my head in the office, trying to come up with a 'practical,cheap, safe, politically correct design for the company's 2007 calendar.....frankly, it looked the same for many years already....as it's a corporate company....the designers are not allowed to design things that are too 'creative'.......in the beginning, when we first joined, we've proposed many that we find really good and yet corporate enough....but all have been rejected....and we were asked to design (or i'd rather not say 'design', maybe 'following orders' is more like it) something similar to previous year's...... I'm quite sad about this...but I've been paid to design what they want....not what I want......at least, I'm aware of this fact.......but in terms of creativity...............I have nothing else to say.........it's really frustrating....
...and so, as I was cracking my head for the calendar, the pen sketch above appeared at the corner of my 'drafting' paper.......and by the end of the day, I went home without a calendar design, but with the above girl contemplating at her desk........hmmmm.....i'd better try again next week, or i'd be in trouble.......
I'll be driving my parents to the beach after work and will only be back the next day...so I don't really have much time to paint this one in acrylic....
(black ball point pen on draft paper, coloured in AI.....yes, AI, not Photoshop....)

15 comments:

Digital Scott's illustrationblog said...

I love your sketch, and I feel your pain. Bosses and clients can such pains in the backside. It's a hard life being creative and working for others. I still struggle to figure out how to make things work and keep my sanity. Rejection sucks. Hang in there. Find something to pin your hope to that won't let you down.

kate said...

Love the lighting in this drawing. Very nice! :)

Majeak Ann said...

she is so concentrated...love the sketchiness of it, I like what you have been showing us, both great!
Hoping you are fine. :)
-Marjorie

Jessica Wong said...

cousin!! i didnt know you're back!! a big warm welcome. agree that this is quite a trouble: creativity vs practicality. hehe. my calender plan shall be pushed to next year :)

Jeannette said...

cute drawing

*DeB* said...

lovely illo.... nice atmosphere..

Michelle Lana said...

very cool! nice drawing!

AscenderRisesAbove said...

I do remember the days of marketing and advertising; being thought of as too creative... argh!

Claudio Cerri said...

Ok, I'm sure... I love your blog!!

constance said...

oh thank you all :) Today is Monday and I've managed to churn out 3 'safe' calendar options for the top management's selection this wednesday.....I'm not really looking forward to it...but yup, that's how it is working for others...I WANNA GO FREELANCING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

luisa brehm said...

beautiful lighting, Constance !!!
and i love your sideface ;-)))
Hugs and kisses !!!

Brandi said...

This is truly stunning! The linework is amazing. There is so much energy within it! Wonderful!

michael dailey said...

great use of lighting and line shes seems to be really pondering something deeply

Plus Ultra said...

I think this and the last you posted on the abused child are excellent...I think you can get above the orders and still come out with something that is fresh, original, creative and an art that you can be proud of, ask Him who indwells you to be the Muse, and I am sure He will answer you in a way that you never believe possible,remember there is always more beyond the "orders", a new horizon......let me know if my words are prophetic or else stone me!

ellell said...

good try on ball pen and coloring in AI! i like it! :) i understand your pain, i guess many designers here are feel the pain like you do. go freelancing, yes! it's cool! :D