Monday, May 22, 2006

Sorry...It's a Beautiful word...


Well, I guess if your kid look this apologetic, you'd find it hard to scold him too!
--------------------
Once upon a time, two little boys were fighting over a toy that they both found in the street. An adult went over and tried to stop them. When the adult asked them to apologize to each other, this was what little boy no 1 answered:

"Why should I say sorry, because I don't FEEL sorry! He (pointing to little boy no. 2) should be the one saying sorry! Not ME!"

Little boy no. 2 said: "Sorry? I saw the toy FIRST!"

So, they continued, arguing and hurting each other verbally. This went on for many minutes until it was so heated up that the fight turned from verbal to physical. One boy punched the other's face, the other kicked the other's leg...their punches and kicks were sometimes misaimed at passersby...Those near them were so disturbed, so tormented, some even were hurt, that they can't continue with what they were doing peacefully...the two little boys really looked horrible, the atmosphere was tense, frightening...

This went on for many minutes more...but suddenly little boy no. 2 begin to think; he begin to look around him; he looked at himself and the other boy too; he seemed to have decided on something...

"Sorry" little boy no. 2 said

"Huh?" said the little boy no 1, with his fist that was about to give the biggest blow ever in history, hanging in mid air.

"I'm sorry, I was greedy. You can have the toy. It's all yours" said little boy no. 2

"Uh, err..okay. You sure?" asked little boy no. 1, his hand dropped down to his side

"Yes, very sure. Lets be friends again, sincerely"

"Ooookayyyy....." answered little boy no. 1, not quite surely

They both walked away, holding hands, with little boy no. 1 holding the toy in the other hand off course....and the people in the street went back to whatever they were doing, peacefully again....

I was there in the street when all these happened.

I learnt that day, that the word "Sorry" could also be such a beautifully combined words of Love, Humility,Foresight and Power....


The End.

written by: Constance Wong

9 comments:

AnnaCas said...

loved the HUGE eyes, really a cutie.

wonil said...

interesting story. very interesting. and sort of similar to my story. i also have two brothers fighting each other.

love the expression on the face and the overall color/texture. good work.

Anonymous said...

What moral is to be draw from this story?

thanks said...

A very meaningful story.But I can't get the real meaning of the story between the lines.I'd like to know about that,Thanks very much.

constance said...

Ok. I will share. But not yet...as I really hope somebody can give the answer on my behalf...Anyone? Maybe, that's why I'm not a writer! I'm really bad in this huh? I guess so...as everytime when I look at my friends around me after I've shared a point or opinion, they usually look quite confused...

Evelyn Fong said...

Hi Contance,

Did you make up this story or did it really happened?

Anyway, I'll try to decipher the moral of the story:

In society, although saying sorry is a noble thing, it is generally perceived as weakness - i.e. to admit one is wrong is to show that one is fallible. Especially in asian culture, as well in working life, to make a mistake is to show that one cannot be relied upon to do the job "perfectly". Because of this, we strive for perfection, and pride ourselves in believing that we do not make mistakes (or at least don't screw up big time). When we do make mistakes, we take great measures to protect our pride by denying the mistake, and this usually starts unnecessary conflict. And because of pride, the conflict will never end. If people, like boy no. 2, saw the wisdom beyond the toy and understood that friendship, love, peace and harmony is more valuable than a mere toy, there would be less wars going on in the world, the office, and at home.

The End.

Anonymous said...

i think there is no other story behind the story or that she impliedly trying to convey another narration. its a story of a simple fact and such, should be taken as that. sumtimes there is no need to be technical abt sumthing clear.

kudos on the writer, "sorry" is a beautiful word, especially when sumone actually means the word when it is expressed and spoken.

PS: i would only say it when i mean it.

gorgeousone

Lu*** said...

That face is pretty, I love your illo!

kimi said...

the point is on little boy's eyes... eyes speak everything!! ;) cool job!!